Caution: slippery when wet.
Jonathan has extensive experience in relation to the law and legal practice relating to a wide range of intellectual property – both as a barrister working in chambers, and as an in-house layer working in industry.
As well as acting as counsel in relation to individual infringement actions, Jonathan has been directly responsible for managing a worldwide trademark portfolio of over 600 trade marks, designs and copyright registrations. He has managed successful anti-counterfeit operations in China, South America, the US, Europe and the UK – seizing and destroying over 250,000 counterfeit articles.
Over his career to date, Jonathan has advised on, drafted and litigated over 400 agreements and deals, predominantly centred on intellectual property.
Jonathan regularly advises on the protection and exploitation of copyright, trade marks and designs in the UK, the EU and the US and is familiar with a range of other jurisdictions and procedures.
IP expertise includes:
- Development and acquisition of copyright works, trade marks and designs
- So-called “soft” patents
- International IP strategy planning
- Trade mark and title searches
- Formats: establishing, protecting and exploiting
- Licensing and distribution
- Famous marks advice
- Registered rights – applications and oppositions, including UK, CTM, US and Madrid Protocol
- Music commissioning and publishing
- Software development and licensing
- Anti-counterfeit and enforcement actions
- Infringement disputes – designs, trade marks, patents and copyright
- Passing off
Properly handled origination, properly acquired and protected intellectual property rights are often the foundation of commercial value. Never more so than now.
Whether establishing a secure chain of title, negotiating a value-maximising licence, drafting or disputing a royalty clause or seizing counterfeit goods, in the world of IP:
…nuance always matters.
“We have consulted JdeM on entertainment, IP and licensing law for almost 20 years. One of the most unique and talented people I’ve had the pleasure to work with, his knowledge, empathy and insight make him a remarkable ally when dealing with difficult things.”